"Snow Day"
I’ve never been in a storm like the one on Monday before. It was raining on and off all during school. In my last 2 classes everyone was talking about how there might not be school on Tuesday because of the weather. It was pretty windy out, but I was thinking that’s crazy if they cancel school just because it’s windy. Well it turns out that later that day right after school when I got home my mom and I started watching the news. I saw pictures and clips of what was going on a few blocks from my house on the shoreline—trees were falling and stoplights and signs were broken. They announced that all schools in the Canary Islands will not have school on Tuesday! It was going to be a ‘wind day’ as opposed to a snow day.
The ocean looked soooo cool. It looked like the clouds were on the surface of the ocean, but really it was just the wind picking up the water and forming ‘clouds’. Later there was a huge rainbow, and I took lots of pictures and will post them soon.
I really wanted to go walk around the town and just go outside, but my parents were saying it’s too dangerous, nobody is going to leave their houses this afternoon unless theu have to. A friend, Gloria, came over to study with Francisca after my parents had gone back to work. They wanted to buy cigarettes, so I went with Gloria to the bar nearby. It was closed, so we had to go walk a bit farther—it was hard walking without being pushed by the wind, and leaves and trash would smack our faces. We were joking and saying, ‘man if maria fernanda (my madre) were to see that we were out of the house right now she’d kill us!!” when we finally made it back to my house, my madre had come back from work. We got yelled at-Gloria more than me, and I said sorry, but we had a blast and were safe! It wasn’t a big deal…
Later on the power went out twice and by the time we got matches and candles lit it went back on…All of this excitement caused even more craziness in the house and dinner was hilarious. Everyone was talking at once, or being scolded or making fun of each other, throwing food, my mom refusing to do any more work around the house but then she’d get up and go start cleaning dishes, Beltran started crying because he didn’t have water, etc. It was chaos.
I made a movie that is too big to post online, but will work on it and hopefully have it posted in a few days. I did put up a small video on my website (made for my sister Carlota to see, but you should go check it out anyways):
http://homepage.mac.com/mbrummitt/iMovieTheater25.html
3 Comments:
you should go outside and cling to a tree and see if you go horizontal
Haha...I agree with Charlie. I'm the one who told your mom in the first place that Tropical Storm Delta was coming. I'm a nerd that way and thought you'd have an interesting time with that. Did they cancel school? Well, I'm off to write a paper about Spain actually--and the Jewish philosophers of its medieval period...fun :-P.
Do they know you are a snow 'expert'? Have they heard of Wisconsin? Maybe next time slide down the hill on your butt shorts! Tell tu madre that it snows year round here, 'snow big deal. Go ahead, tell her.
Post a Comment
<< Home