Choir and Kidneys
At the meeting for what turned out to be choir, we sang songs in Spanish, but I didn’t know any of them (obviously). I’m not really sure what type of music it was, maybe one of them was the national anthem of Spain…I had no idea. There weren’t any words for me to look at because everyone knew the songs. I felt kind of stupid while everyone was singing, because some kids would look at me wondering what the heck is wrong with me and why I was in a singing group but not singing…little do they know! At the end of the meeting, I spoke up to the teacher explaining my situation, and next time he will bring the words for me. During Christmas break we will go to Los Llanos (other major city on La Palma) to perform.
I got my first grade back on Monday. Blanca gave us our English exams back, and well I didn’t get as good of a grade that I should have gotten…but I know I got the best in the class. I got a 7.5 (out of 10) – you’re probably thinking that that is horrible…well let me explain. Part of the test was to translate Spanish words to English, and I didn’t know all of them. The other part that I got points taken off was correcting sentences. Well I corrected them properly, but Blanca still marked things off. Her English is so bad that she incorrectly corrected my correct answers. For example, do you say “I’m going to the pubs ON the weekends” or “I’m going to the pubs AT the weekends”? According to Blanca it is AT…? I could have argued with her and proven her wrong, but I really didn’t care about trying to get a better grade when most of the class failed.
I’ve been studying quite a bit for my economia exam, which is on two chapters. Looking back on the first, I understand about 75% of what I read. I can remember when we were learning that first chapter a couple weeks ago I probably understood 25%. Spanish is getting so much easier, but it is still hard to say exactly what I want to say.
Today for lunch we ate kidney from a cow. I’m pretty sure it was my first time eating kidney. It was not my favorite – very chewy and had a bad after taste. I probably would have enjoyed it more if I didn’t know what I was eating. My brothers refused to eat any of it, so they just had bread with mayonnaise and ketchup on top. It was kind of a gross meal.
My goal this week is to go to the beach and swim in the ocean. It will be my first time using one of my swimsuits. Kind of a shocker… I did swim in a pool at a birthday party that I went to last minute, so last minute that I had to use one of the mom’s swimsuits!
4 Comments:
Martha-
I think I know what you need to do someday - teach English in foreign countries. Specifically the Canary Islands. And bring some normal food while you're at it. Your blogs make me laugh out loud! And that's not good - my office is next to the school library where everyone is very quiet!! Have a great rest of the week, Marf. Love, Lib
Marta, I think you should teach the English class! I'll tell Britt about some of your funny episodes when I see her Friday. She is stuck in bed for the next 4 months and needs some laughs. The babies are doing fine, though. You know that Britt & Mike are having triplets!!! Love, Manor
Marf,
Next time, barf after a gross meal. That act is universal in language.
It sure is fun reading your exploits.
Also, after wearing THE mom's swim suit, say "I'm not wearing that tent, I mean, that suit anymore." Chances are you will know how good her English is.
Ask your English teacher if she wants to exchange letters with US students. My students will teach hip hop language and ideas to the Canarians, or is it Canaryists? Or, bird people?
Love,
U. P.
p.s. Why is your mon posting her picture?
hola martha!!!
i just spend the afternoon at work - not actually doing work, but catching up on your life. haha - i love reading these little narratives! im so glad that things are going well.
love, sukey
Post a Comment
<< Home