Monday, September 19, 2005

Last Day of Summer

Today I went with my father to my school, which can be seen from my bedroom window. First, the principal spoke to all of the students who are in my grade, and the only thing I really understood was no smoking in the school because it was repeated several times. Other than that, I picked up a few words here and there throughout the 15 minute lecture. My father was the only parent in the room, and I was definitely the only foreigner!

After that, my classmates and I (the kids who are taking the same ‘course’ as me) went to our classroom, and were given the schedule for each week. Everyday I have 6 periods, and each period is a different class, and also each day is different. The classes that I’m taking are: lengua (I think it is Spanish literature and the Spanish language), economia, historia, ingles, psychology, philosophy, gym, math and then twice a week I have a class that I think is a study have, but I’m not sure. And once a week I have tutoria, which I think is a time to see if everything is going okay...i really have no idea what it will be like. It will be weird to sit in the same classroom for the whole day, and not change classes. Only the teachers change classes. And I think that means I have the same 20 kids in my class the whole year.

Then my dad and I went to a store where I bought my books and school supplies. I am nervous about all of my classes, because I know it will be really hard in the beginning, but am excited for my English class! I am going to be the best at it…duh.

At lunch today, one of the twins accidently dropped my plate of spaghetti, and my dad got pretty mad. I felt bad because the poor boy got yelled at, oh well. While my dad was in the kitchen, the boys started to eat with their hands, and just weren’t using manners. So I decided to play along by making pig-like noises and pretending to eat without hands. It was good to be able to interact with them because usually they talk so fast to me I just have to smile and nod. I told them that later this week when it is Francisca’s (my sister) birthday, we are going to put the cake in her face. They loved that.

As I type this, I get to listen to the same Eminem song in Spanish being played over and over and over again coming from the twins bedroom. They are pretty out of control all the time in the house. It’s fun to have younger siblings. They love soccer and know a lot about each player and each team in a bunch of different countries. And they also love the rubber chickens that I gave them.

For the rest of today, I’m going to take a siesta and organize my things for school. It’s weird thinking that I have to go to school tomorrow, I’ve had such a long summer. And it is also weird thinking that one day I’m going to actually understand Spanish and be able to speak it. Right now I feel like I’m never going to reach that point, but I know I eventually will.

p.s. I will post pictures as soon as I get internet on my computer. Hopefully this week sometime...

5 Comments:

At 9:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi marf!!! it is so fun to read about what you have been up to. best of luck tomorrow! glad to hear things are going well.

mucho amor :)

sukey

 
At 4:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Marf,

I am trying to learn how to send you a message. This techno stuff is very confusing.

We,re having fun following your exploits!

Love,

Uncle Peter

 
At 6:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Martha,
just catching up with your new life. Great adventures require a bit of bravery and determination, which you obviously have. You'll do fine in those classes (yeah, the ingles should be muy facil).

Uncle Marcos

 
At 7:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ciao ciao ciao Martha!!! It's so fun to read that you think your school's weird, because it's not!!! Well it's not for me, 'cause our high schools work pretty much in the same way-we don't change class, we have a different schedule every day, and we study way more than you do!! Pfffffff!!! I know that you will reach the point of understanding your new language without any problems. It's hard but interesting.
Cheer up sista! I love you the "mostest"
Nina

 
At 2:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

LIL LOON!
Man youll be just fine~remeber our convo in the tent that one night that we didnt put up the rain fly and then it startedf raining? well youll be fine, your awesome at taking advantage of everything and i wish i could annoy you all day but you have stuff to do in spain...with the spanish kids...yeah
loev you marty party!
~Lil loon #2 "napolean"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home